California Cops Can Now Seize Guns From Citizens

Discussion in 'Guns' started by Confused Spectator, Jan 2, 2016.

1. One of the most controversial new laws of 2016 will go into effect Friday in California, where the state will allow judges to seize guns from even law-abiding citizens if they are judged to be a risk to themselves or other people.

The legislation, introduced after Elliot Rodger killed six people in the Isla Vista massacre, near Santa Barbara, will allow authorities to seize a person's weapon for 21 days if a judge decides the potential for violence exists.

The law, known as the “gun violence restraining order” will allow family members and law enforcement to request an order from a judge to have guns removed from those seen as a danger.

Under the new law, which goes into effect Jan. 1, a restraining order could be issued without prior knowledge of the person, KPCC reported. Therefore, a judge could technically issue the order without ever hearing from the person in question.

State Democrats introduced the law in 2014, saying that police were not able to seize weapons from shooter Rodger, despite concern from his mother that he was making violent threats.

"In the case of the Isla Vista shooter, Elliot Rodger, his mother was noticing that he was becoming more agitated and making these threats of violence, but there was little she could do and little the police could do," said Democratic Assembly member Nancy Skinner of Berkeley, who introduced the bill along with fellow Democrat Das Williams, Reuters reported.

Critics say the controversial law infringes upon the Second Amendment. “We don’t need another law to solve this problem,” Sam Paredes, executive director of Gun Owners of California, told The Associated Press. “We think this just misses the mark and may create a situation where law-abiding gun owners are put in jeopardy.”

It isn’t the only gun control law going into effect in the state. Another will tighten a ban on firearms in and around schools – which even applies to most people who are allowed to carry concealed weapons.

Meanwhile, California, the most populous state, also will introduce a new ban on firearms in and around schools. Under the new law, the prohibition will apply even to most people who are allowed to carry concealed weapons generally.

Emma likes this.
  2. Nothing wrong with taking guns from dangerous or unstable people who are legally deemed dangerous or unstable. But that's the problem, they have to do something like commit an act of violence before they can be deemed dangerous or unstable. It's not like I can call the police and sat that my neighbor said he's going to shoot me and they come and take his guns. I am all for responsible gun ownership, but we need more effort to get the illegal guns off the streets instead of worrying about law abiding citizens.

3. I wonder how many LA gang members are going to have their weapons taken away.

4. Probably none - Obama, his Justice Department henchman, and the local police departments who rely on the federal government for the majority of their funding will likely only go after non-minority (white) people so they don't have to face any racial profiling lawsuits.

LadyLiberty likes this.
  5. I agree with you. I think that it's a good thing that they have this, but they have to be able to do something before the gun is taken away. It's not something that is okay. And it's something that we should do more about.

6. I agree, it is the obvious thing to do to take guns from people are are not responsible with them, or are not of good mind.

7. Taking guns away from dangerous people is the right way to go for sure. I mean, it should have been implemented a long time ago.

8. I really can't see this being a bad thing!

9. It's the absolute worst thing that can happen. Where is the due process?

10. Wait, they are going to take them away from even law-abiding citizens if they are a risk to themselves or other people. Isn't everyone in California like that? You'd have to be to live in such a liberal nut bag state as that. California, a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. Of course I could just as easily swap out California and put in New York as well.

LibertyBelle likes this.